In a previous post, we briefly discussed our internship experience with GEO BON, in which we developed a forecasting model of local contributions to beta diversity (LCBD) at the regional scale, using communities of warblers species in Quebec and Colombia as a case study. The first part of our endeavor was getting access to data. As typical grad students in quantitative ecology, we used data mostly openly available on the internet. As mentioned in the previous post, for species occurrence, we used data from the eBird database, while environmental and land-use data were obtained from the CHELSA database and the Oak Ridge National Laboratory Distributed Active Archive Center (ORNL DAAC), respectively. While these datasets are openly available, the steps required to actually use them and the digital space they occupy could represent a challenge for someone unfamiliar with such a task.
We recently completed a two-month internship with The Group on Earth Observations Biodiversity Observation Network (GEO BON). Its headquarters having recently moved to Montreal, we immediately wanted to be part of this new chapter by contributing to a project as exciting as it is ambitious: an integrated biodiversity information system. GEO BON is indeed currently developing such an information system that would, among other things, provide real-time estimates of many biodiversity indicators at the planetary scale. Another purpose of GEO BON’s information system is to facilitate the conduction of biodiversity forecasts under different socioeconomic scenarios and enhance the plausibility and precision of these models.
Story of an internship by Gracielle Higino, Gabriel Dansereau and Francis Banville
Back in 2019, which feels like decades ago, we started a humble project in the Poisot lab which we called Code Hour. The goal was to set weekly hours to practice Julia, since we were all learning to use it and we could greatly benefit from each other’s help and encouragement. The project went well (although we frequently ended up spending much more than one hour). It “spilled” out of our lab and found enthusiasm at IVADO, who already had plans to promote a challenge in which participants would make a commitment to code for 100 days. That’s when our internship was born.